16 Apr Five Ways to Love Mangoes
My foodie excitement recently revolved around a box of 18 Ataulfo mangoes that were a steal for $9. The mangoes were at various stages of ripeness, perfect for enjoying over a long period of time. (Btw, to speed up the ripening process, place mangoes in a paper bag.) A ripe mango will impart a sweet aroma from the tip where the stem used to be.
Mangoes remind me of summer visits to Bangladesh when I was a child, and the playful bickering over who got to eat the flesh off the pit. Of course, at the time I had no idea that mangoes were packed with vitamins A & C, potassium and fibre. My grandmother made the most amazing mango chutneys, both the sweet variety as well as hot and spicy.
While exotic to some here in North America, mangoes have been around for thousands of years in South Asia. There are hundreds of varieties – some more fibrous than others.
Here are five fab ways to enjoy mangoes:
1) Raw! Hands down, this is my favourite way to eat mangoes.
2) Mix mango cubes with yogurt for a pick-me-up snack.
3) Add slices to a roast beef, chicken or vegetarian wrap.
4) Mango salsa — toss mango and red bell pepper slices with chopped green onion, rice vinegar (or lime juice) and a splash of olive oil. Serve alongside chicken or fish.
5) Whip up a smoothie — flesh of 1 mango, 2 cups of milk, 2 tbsp plain yogurt — enjoy with a dash of cinnamon (sweeten with honey or sugar, as needed)
How do you like to eat mangoes?