08 Feb Prairie Power Bowl
This bowl showcases a lime, coconut-scented barley and lentil mix. These key prairie-grown foods are paired up with roasted cauliflower and sweet potato. A flaxseed dressing rounds out our shout-out to the prairies.
(Makes 6 cups)
To make the lentil barley mix (adapted with permission from Lentils.ca):
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (14 oz/498 mL) reduced-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup green lentils
- ¾ cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- Half lime zest & juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (save some for garnish)
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (save some for garnish)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium size pot, and add onion and ginger.
- Stir in stock and coconut milk. Add lentils and barley, stir, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils and barley are tender. Stir every few minutes.
- Once cooked, add the lime juice and zest. Stir in cilantro, coconut flakes and season with salt and ground black pepper.
¼ cup canola oil
2 tbsp flaxseed
1 lime, zest + juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp Dijon mstard
1 tsp honey
¼ tsp salt
Roasted winter vegetables
3 cups cauliflower florets
3 cups sweet potato ½” cubes
3 T canola oil
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss vegetables with canola oil.
- Roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
To assemble bowls
- Divide ingredients equally among four bowls.
- Drizzle on lime cilantro dressing.