26 Mar Savoury Yogurt Bowls
(Photo credit: lentils.org)
One of the hottest new trends this year is savoury yogurt bowls. Sure, we’re used to topping yogurt with fruit or a drizzle of maple syrup, but have you tried something on the not-so-sweet side?
I stumbled across this idea a couple of years ago at a family dinner my parents were hosting. My cousin, Maliha, was enjoying a bowl of “dahi bora” (chickpea balls in a thick yogurt sauce mixed with South Asian spices) topped with blueberries. I know, weird combination, but oh so delicious.
We tend to think of yogurt as high in calcium. In fact, it has 15 nutrients, including protein, potassium, magnesium and a host of B vitamins. There’s good research to show that many of these nutrients as well as specific types of protein in milk products can help keep your blood pressure in check. Known as the “DASH diet“, it means eating lots of fruits and vegetables as well.
Personally, I love two per cent Greek yogurt (0% tastes chalky to me). Here are seven combinations to inspire your next savoury yogurt bowl. Or conjure up your own special mix.
- South Asian: chopped cucumber + shredded carrot + garam masala/chaat masala (raita inspired)
- Middle Eastern: diced red pepper + lentils + harissa + feta
- Asian-inspired: diced beets + shredded carrots + store bought ginger dressing (or conjure up your own)
- Southwestern-style: thinly sliced mango + avocado + chopped cilantro + lime juice
- Korean-inspired: steamed, chopped asparagus+ kimchi
- Mediterranean: sundried tomatoes + olives + chickpeas +pine nuts + parsley
- Mediterranean 2.0: marinated mushrooms + marinated artichokes + balsamic vinegar + parsley
Have you tried savoury yogurt bowls? What combinations would you try?