13 Feb Tourtiere-Inspired Vegetarian Bowl
Inspired by recipes from Ricardo and Aimee Wimbush Bourque, this vegetarian version of Quebec’s own tourtiere showcases mushrooms and lentils as the base. Roasted cabbage and cranberry apple chutney add a delicious punch to traditional flavours. (Makes 6 bowls)
Ingredients for “tourtiere” filling
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb mushrooms (two 227 gram containers), chopped
- ¼ cup large flake oats (not instant)
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Cook onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and oats. Cook until mushrooms soften.
- Add lentils and the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until the water in the pot dries up.
To roast cabbage
- ½ green cabbage
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut ½ green cabbage into large wedges.
- Massage on canola oil. Sprinkle salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes until tender and cabbage is browned at the edges.
Recipe for apple cranberry chutney.