25 Jan Trending: Sardines
Move over salmon, there’s a new fish in town. According to various trend lists, sardines are set to steal the spotlight from salmon in 2017.
Sardines are a small fish that deliver big-time benefits. In addition to being affordable, one can (106 grams) of sardines:
- Has 26 grams of protein (decent amount for a meal).
- Gives you all the vitamin B12 you need in a day (for healthy nerves and for making red blood cells).
- Meets your daily needs for selenium (important for your immune system).
- Contains 1/3 of your daily calcium (but you need to eat the bones).
- Is an excellent source of iron (helps carry oxygen around your body) and phosphorus (helps build and repair your body, especially bones and teeth).
As they are a relatively small fish, sardines also rank low on the amount of mercury they contain.
While canned sardines can be high in sodium/salt, I recommend going for ones that are canned in water, and adding your own flavour boosters, like lemon or hot sauce.
It’s recommended that we eat oily fish (like sardines) at least twice a week to get enough heart-healthy omega-3 fats. There’s also been some research to suggest that omega-3 fats can boost your mood.
Here’s some inspo to eat more sardines:
- Place on top of your favourite salad.
- Top toast with canned sardines.
- Mash similar to tuna salad.
- Mix with mustard and lemon juice.
- Combine sardines with chopped, fresh tomatoes, red onion, minced jalapeno and lime juice.
What’s your favourite way of enjoying sardines?